At the end of the Civil War, after everything had turned back to normal, Bogg Church which formally met in a brush arbor built a building and the doors opened on June 11, 1876. The church held a dedication ceremony in July 1876. The Athens Georgian reported this on the day it was dedicated.
“The dedicatory exercises of Bogg’s Chapel, came off last Sunday morning before and audience composed of some four or five hundred personages from Athens, Clarke county and vicinity. The handsome little Church was filled to it’s utmost, while benches upon both sides of the house were occupied by those unable to enter. Great interest seemed to be taken in the religious exercises, which consisted of a most interesting sermon from the 13th Chapter of Isaiah, by Bishop Pierce, followed up by some very propriate remarks by that eloquent divine. The Church is situated about four miles from Athens, to the right of Jefferson road, and is a very neatly, finished structure, indeed. Nicely painted, finely plastered and completely equipped with comfortable benches, a handsome and substantial pulpit. Fine Bible and full set of prettily bound hymn-books, it is a perfect gem of a Chapel; and presents quite a favorable impression, bearing its jaunty little cupola above the luxuriant summits of an embryonic grove. The ground was generously donated by Richard Boggs, Esp., whose name bears; while the Church, in its entirety, with it finish, accontrements and equipments, was given by Mr. Ferdinand Phinizy, who sustains all the expense and preciated by the Methodist Church and community general.”
The Athens Georgian, July 13, 1876
In 1996, Boggs Chapel was renamed to Gateway Church. Once Gateway Church relocated to their new property on Jefferson Road, the building resumed the name Boggs Chapel. Boggs Chapel continues to be used by the North Georgia Methodist Conference today in many facets. It has been used to spread the word through the Hispanic community and can be rent for events or services.
The oldest and the youngest breaking ground at the site of the new property.
In 2001, Gateway Church decide to proceed with a vision that was given to them and build a new church on Jefferson Road. This location gives the church the ability to expand and pursue more missions related to the visions the Lord has given them. The church would end up being approximately double the size of the current building and land. This also placed the church on a major thoroughfare from Atlanta to Athens.
During the building process, the attendees would go over to the new location and have services, on the property while praying over the land. Once the churches roof and walls were built, the attendees went inside the building, wrote scriptures on the floor and the beams as a prayer over the building. The church purchased some stones, prayed over them and later added them to the building which still can be seen on the portico out front.
Gateway Church 2005
Gateway Church moved from Jefferson River Road to our current location in 2005. It current resides at 6425 Jefferson Road (Highway 129), in front of Westgate Community. After construction of the building was complete, attendees of the church came together to paint, build and set up the interior of the building. The cross on top of the church was designed, built and installed specifically for this building and it stands for the love, grace and healing the Lord provides to all of us and we welcome all who wish to be apart of that. The church continues with it missions and services to the Athens community. The new church provides more room for Sunday morning services, children programs and outdoor events. The land provides for the church to grow when the Lord sees fit. The old church building resumed the name Boggs Chapel and was turned over to the North Georgia Methodist Conference. Boggs Church still remains in its same location on Jefferson River Road.